1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 onion, finely sliced
salt and black pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1⁄2-1 tsp chilli flakes (to taste)
50g/13⁄4oz root ginger, peeled and grated
600g/1lb 5oz tinned chickpeas (undrained weight)
1 x 400g/14oz tin tomatoes
750g/1lb 10oz sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes 200g/7oz rice
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the oil. Once hot, add the cumin seeds and fry for a minute, or until aromatic. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic, chilli flakes and ginger and fry for a further three minutes.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add to the pan with the tomatoes and sweet potato. Add enough water (approximately 500ml/18fl oz) to cover the chickpeas and sweet potatoes and bring to a simmer, stirring to mix everything together.
- Cover with a lid and simmer over a medium low heat, stirring now and again, for 30-40 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and beginning to break apart and the sauce has thickened. Top up with a little more water during the cooking if needed.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Taste the curry and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with the rice.